Saturday, October 31, 2009

Still Topping...

What - Still Topping? Sounds ridiculous - but I think we are still in a topping process. Remember this rally was huge - 440 points in 7 months (roughly 63 points a month non stop). It is unlikely to reverse without a decent struggle. It is more likely to consolidate in a broader range and regroup for the next wave, and I think that is consistent with the price action over the last 20 days.

Right now, what we are seeing now is a nice distribution effort that started around 1100. Smarter money selling into the dip buying as we roll over. I don't see a panic sell-off - which means there is more distribution to come - but at higher prices. That is why I think we are still topping. The buying on the Thursday GDP number shows there are sufficient participants who are willing to stay on the ride. This provides more distribution opportunity for the smarter money. More importantly, I do not see a proper topping pattern on the daily chart - YET. However, I do see the obvious head and shoulders pattern forming on the daily. This pattern would imply a test of the 1017-020 zone followed by one last counter rally to as high as 1080. If rejected at 1080ish, we would see the an actual correction begin - including tests of several prior lows. Open the chart:



I've crudely drawn the right shoulder. If this shoulder is to materialize, we should see some down action on Monday with a reversal starting Tuesday. Don't expect a picture perfect sequence of events - rather look for the broad manifestation of the pattern over the next 5 or so sessions. If we see the shoulder form and get rejection, we can expect tests of the following lows:

A: 1019 (Most important failure is here - complete retrace of last rally leg)
B: 991 (Complete retrace of the prior rally leg)
C: 978 (Major milestone as this break would lead to the biggest portion of the correction)
D: 869 (The lowest low that I would expect in the correction)

So what happened to 920? Why isn't in the diagram? The answer is as follows. If we are in fact reversing, the focus needs to be on the lows that were set during the rally upwards because those lows are the freshest tests in the minds of the bulls. Another words, the psychology of the participants is still rolling over. Only after confidence is completely broken do we switch to the "support" model. That does not mean that price action ignores support - in fact we are sitting at support near 1030 now. We'll see price action slow as we descend at the following levels:

1017-1019
960
920 (Biggest test of support)

The 920 test is the biggest test for several reasons:

1. It is right around the 200p MA
2. It has the broadest ceiling and was the site for the longest consolidation period in the full rally.
3. It is the 62% retracement of the first rally after consolidation.
4. It is the bottom band in the dense upper price action region - below this band, we have a major density gap down to 880. That is a 40 point gap - though it is through the price May -July price consolidation.

In my next post, I'll address the hourly chart and see if I can't present some trade setups for the coming sessions.

It is good to be back - thanks for all your comments while I was traveling!

1 comment:

payline said...

David Welcome Back !
Hope your trip will bring fine fruits.
I have felt in-sync with the market scene the high on the 21st Funny as seems the 2 counter tends scared the crap out most the bears .( I will not say I didn't worry , as that would be untrue )
Thursday I expected 62 as HOD and
sold my pre-market longs there
Friday after the break of 56 I showed possible LOD at 27-28ish, which sounded nuts at the time.

I almost picked up a long after close on Friday , but a not hitting the bottom of the trend line stopped me.

On the 22th I was not sure if the counter trend was EWT 2 or 5 , it didn't matter as the next wave would be down . ( added short that day ) 5 have would needed to take us above the 25th.
That said , it sure looks like a very pretty 5 wave drop, which should bring a ABC at the end of wave 5. C should end higher than wave 4 high (66) and would not stun me if inter day we went up and closed that gap from the 21st
This would scare the Bears out of there shorts again.

More importantly and ABC rise at the end of wave5 fits nicely with your TA. Many Many gaps to close from the rally .

WOW to how will the new down channel has help up , great call you had on its formation back when it started.

Thanks agian , for all your help
My best