Thursday, October 22, 2009

Down Trend Continues

As I posted on HMS blog, today did not reverse what I believe to be a rolling process. Open the hourly:



1. Price action failed to retrace 100% of yesterday's down leg.
A reversal would require a 100% retrace, and a bullish move would add another 38% to the upside. That would require a retest of the 1100+ high. It may happen tomorrow, but it did not happen today - and to break a high, you need momentum.

2. We closed within the top trend line on a down trend channel which can be seen on the hourly chart. I drew the top trend line at the top of the candlestick wick - but a more parallel channel may be formed at the closing level. It is early, and what matters most is that we travel down along the line or get rejected strongly.

3. We set a new intraday low.
If we keep setting intraday lows and don't make new highs - we are in a downtrend.

4. The closing candlestick on the hourly is bearish
This is a shooting star. When a shooting star follows a long green candle, it is a sign that a reversal is likely - especially if the shooting star sits above the prior candle. Generally, a closing star is often followed by a gap down. I don't know about that today.

5. The 20pMA is about to cross the 50p MA
Generally, this is bearish. It is a sign that short term price action is sharply dropping relative to mid term price action. Last time we had a cross like this we shaved 40pts in 2 days. Also, looking at the daily line graph of the closing price (not shown here), you will see that we did not make contact with the 20p MA. At no time during this entire rally have we turned to the line and not touched - not once. This suggests that we have at least a trip to 1070 ahead of us. Most of the times we crossed below the 20p MA we met the 50p MA - opening the possibility of 1040.

I also highlighted something very interesting. Notice the area labeled A on the chart? Look how closely that zone resembles where we are today - zone B. Look how there was a failure to completely retrace the first down leg. The next bar that printed was a shooting start. The bars that followed were substantially down. Now notice the relationship between the 20pMA and the 50pMA at that time. Very similiar conditions.

One final note, we still have a gap down below 1060 - which is the 50% retracement level of this last rally leg. We have not left too many unfilled.

Let's see what tomorrow brings.

12 comments:

payline said...

David ,
I ran over to the Bull camp to see what they are thinking, Here is what I got , 1) the stochastic has been over 80 scene the 12th.
2)The Oct 2nd an Inverse H$S, 1025-70 being the head , makes a +50 over the 1070, (there is that 1120 again).
They think even in light of the lower lows and higher highs we are consolidating for another run .

Here is a link to our friend that is short Spx at 853
http://www.decisionpoint.com/TAC/ORD.html

It seems , this is either a BuLL trap or a Bear trap ,
a close under 1060 would be great or under 73 even under 80 would feel good.

You said it once this week the next 5 days are Key, Here comes number 5 the most Key of all.

My Best

David O said...

Hey Payline,

Thanks for the link.

I've been studying the charts all night, from all angles. We are rolling. We will cross through the 20p MA on the daily - I think tomorrow. I may be out on a limb, but I would not be surprised with 1071 tomorrow - with a chance at 1060 by end of day.

David O said...

I'll also call 75.700 on the dollar index. In both cases, I have put the money down in contracts...

KPH said...

btw, I covered in the morning, went long UPRO, sold UPRO, then shorted at the end of the day.

Sounds good, but I actually only did moderately well here. Got stopped out of UPRO with only a relatively small profit and went short COF which screwed me a bit. I will short agressively tomorrow. During the course of the day.

TEXAS said...

David O-

Like your blog. Thanks for sharing your work.

David O said...

Thanks Texas.

It helps me think!

Attitude928 said...

Interesting...I dumped TZA around 11AM after holding it throughout the recent decline. By the end of the day I did not get any major signals in either direction...stayed in cash at the close...

Bob said...

David, your TA has definitely influenced my trading (along with teaching me a thing or two [eight or ten:)). Very kind of you to put your analysis on your site for all - I know what your publish represents hours of work - just wanted to say thanks - and wish you a great weekend

David O said...

Thanks R,

Are you and O'Neill? We have the rarest spelling on the name.

Welcome!

Bob said...

I am, and hale from Garden City, although long gone from Long Island

Bob said...

My father use to say "no one has knocked the 'L' out of us yet" :)

David O said...

....My father use to say "no one has knocked the 'L' out of us yet" :)...


LOL - but they keep trying!

I grew up in College Point, NY - now live upstate in Warwick, NY.

Have a great weekend!