Saturday, October 17, 2009

Next 5 Sessions are Key

So we survived the week, ending with the markets finally a bit exhausted from the JPM/Intel mania (both stocks down substantially by the way). This pause allows us to examine the trend, patterns and levels so as to make smart trading decisions going forward.

I start with the daily bar chart for the last 100 days. Though I use the line chart format for most of my longer term studies, 100 days is short enough that I can get some meaningful noise from the candlesticks.



The single most important feature of the chart is the red price channel that has been in place for many months. We had only one break, which was a downside move in July that brought a break of the 200p MA. We rebounded and fell right back into the channel. That is a cool feature of channels. For this reason, never abandon them on your charts - even if you think price action has left the channel. It may come back.

Channels are very dependable until they break. Sounds like a silly statement, but it works. Right now we are right at the top line. Unless we rally out of bounds, we'll likely do the same thank we have done in the past. That is, we'll see a rejection after perhaps 3-5 days of volatility along the line. If we reverse direction, we'll most certainly find our way to the bottom trend line. I have labeled this area the "Target Zone". With this in mind, shorting the 1090 down to the 1060-40 area is a good play. If we break down below the bottom trend line, we could see another retrace to the 200pMA at my target of 920.

The next chart is the 20 day hourly bar chart. I use this chart to confirm what I see on the daily.



The most important features of this chart are the yellow channel lines from our last pullback, the red rising wedge of the last rally leg, the "Last Rally Leg" fib grid, and the last three EWT waves labeled 1,2, and 3. (The EWTs are labeled at their approximate 50% level).

At the highest level, after breaking out of the down trend in Oct 5th, we entered into a rising wedge - riding up the 20p MA with no touches of the 50pMA. That is pretty darn bullish. The up leg consists of three EWTs - the third of which demonstrated the weakest of exhaustion waves (they got progressively weaker from the start). Once the third EWT exhausted, significant selling pressure forced price action directly to the bottom trend line of the wedge - breaking it and remaining under ever since. This is bearish.

The support found at 1081 is from the 50% retracement of the third EWT. We bounced from there and showed strength which was sold into at the close. This can be seen in the grave stone doji that printed in the final hour. This is a bearish warning. The open on Monday will be key. If we continue down, we will see a retest of 1081 and an attack on the 50p MA at 1078ish. It is very likely that we will see this attack as part of a broader retracement to the 38% level of the Last Rally Leg. This is at 1067. Further, a healthy rally can, and often will, pull back to the 50% retracement level before resuming the up trend. For this reason, I label it the "Likely Retracement" - which is at 1058-60.

The DAILY shows the bottom trend line at 040-060 and the HOURLY confirms at 058-060 with the 50% retracement of this last rally leg. This makes 1060 a good target with 050 a more aggressive outlook.

IF we break support at 1050, be prepared for the possibility of re-entering the down trend channel of our last pullback.

Note that I can make a case that this last rally leg is not yet finished. Arguably, we are in the 4th wave of 5 in an EWT that started at the base of this rally leg. This can be seen on the hourly chart. Minor EWT at 1 is Major EWT phase 1. The exhaustion of minor EWT1 is Major EWT phase 3. Use minor wave 2 and minor wave 3 to complete Major wave 3. Exhaustion today was Major wave 4 - now we get an explosion to 1120 to exhaust the Major EWT that makes up the Latest Rally Leg.

Think of your trading moves for either case...

Good luck out there...

25 comments:

efdup said...

David,
Thanks for this, i always like to see your comments on HMS site and hope to understand more of TA thru your blog.

David O said...

Hey Sandtrap,

Thanks. Been off of the HMS blog past couple of days as this 1120 test develops. Got to stay sharp out there!

kph said...

David O, have been rather careful, but have a pretty nice position heading into next week. I would think that we are about to trend down again. If C and BAC could not put together better earnings in THIS environment, things are going to get VERY bad for them. IMO.

All of this said, you should really look at the dollar if you want to predict the market.

David O said...

Hey KPH,

I have been watching the dollar - and though I am no expert on the subject - I do think we are reaching a breaking point; meaning the invesrse relationship between the dollar and the index is going to end eventually. Even if the dollar continues to drop, the S&P index can not continue to rise.

For the S&P index to continue it's rise, top line revenue growth must kick in. This requires employment and housing stabilization. I don't think it will happen. This will cause a natural exit from the equities into the dollar as the dollar has more upside potential than down. If we do see top line revenue growth, the FED will have to begin tightening. If they do, the free money rally will lose a substantial amount of it's steam and we will see the dollar react to the upside.

Beyond the mechanics of dollar vs. index, the currency manipulation has been the play of last resort and it can only be played so far before international pressure forces it to an end...

The very bottom for the dollar basket is 72 in my "technical" estimation . We bounce from there no matter what.

So - the dollar influences the S&P index for now, we next see a break in that relationship, followed by a reversal of the relationship (meaning S&P influences the dollar).

Very important subject, thanks for posting it. I hope you are doing well with your trades.

Cheers!

KPH said...

I have been OK in my trades, goal of surviving until the big move down. I likely should have listened to my gut that I should have played some upside over the last 3 weeks. I actually put on some long positions but took them off. All in all, though, I have done pretty well, considering I have been playing the short side and the market has gone aggressively against me.

You think 1120 is likely or possible?

payline said...

Hi Guys This is Prechters take on the $

The Dollar Ind is just above the lower trendline of the ending diagonal pattern. This trendline crosses 75.05 on Monday. Oftentimes, ending diagonals will burst through the trendline as the fifth wave is finishing up. A subsequent reversal back through the trendline will confirm a trend change. If this behavior were to occur now, the index would drop sharply beneath 75.05, but then reverse equally as sharp back above it, which would signal a bottom. Regardless, any rally above 77.48, the previous wave iv high, it would indicate that a turn has taken place.

David O said...

KPH,

I do think 1120 is possible before a reversal. This is why we have to watch the price action within the red channel on the daily chart. The action at the bottom trend line will give us the clue. Will it bounce or break-down?

Interestingly enough, we dropped out of a rising wedge on the hourly. So we may not get the final leg up to 1120 after all. This would be ideal - as everyone is long or waiting on 1120 to go short. A drop now would take everyone off guard...

We'll see...

David O said...

Hey Payline,

Thanks for the Pretcher report excerpt. Do you subsribe to his letter? Do you recommend?

payline said...

David , I just took the trial , and am still deciding on the value .
His record of advice in cycle has been stunning ,
On Feb 25 of last year his advice was to cover shorts cus 800 points was enuff. March 10th go long stay long, Spx will land near 1000, and 1100. Aug 17 he advised to get out and cash , and wait as it would be to Choppy Dangerous on the last up leg.

This was there call last Monday on Oil.
a contracting triangle is underway. A triangle develops as a lingering, sideways, five-wave pattern labeled A-B-C-D-E. They most commonly form in 4th waves of a 5-wave Elliott wave pattern and resolve in a sharp, swift thrust in the direction of the previous larger trend. Meaning: the frustration of the wait is always rewarded with a dramatic breakout.

They make us look like Bullish-Baby
Bears. I have having a problem wrapping my head around such targets of 400ish on the SPX , Long Bond under 2.5%.

There Sxp call in a nutshell
Primary wave 2 (circle) is fast approaching its end.

Thanks again David ,

KPH said...

Prechter is down about 97% since 1987. We should listen to him...

He lives down the road from me. I should drop in on him at some point.

KPH said...

also, I think you are right that the smart play for now is 1090 to 1060, maybe a bit lower. I would be amazed by 1120, but anything is possible. Apple could fuck up all sorts of things, but I do not think that the smart play is betting on considerable upside on either Apple or Goog. All of these are toppy.

Of course given recent trends it is very possible that recent trends will continue apace. I dunno. I am going to work through my current construct, the assumption that we'll have some downside in the near term, bounce up, and then go down hard. I don't think that we go down hard just yet, though.

kph said...

sorry, just to continue. There's no doubt that the majority of the times we've topped out over the last 3 months we consolidated, tried to break out, failed, and then went down. However, if we follow a topping pattern similar to January, we'll have a blowoff and then go down hard. The question is whether people are scared enough to go down hard. I dunno, but I do think we have blown off to an extent. To be honest, we started to blow off in late August.

KPH said...

fyi, Daneric has a good post on the financials:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_TwUS3GyHKsQ/Stom2TZlz6I/AAAAAAAACNA/kxqghAnHNB8/s1600-h/xlfdaily.png

David O said...

KPH,

Thanks for the Daneric link. Financials led this rally so far - so they will likely lead us down.

Very wise to watch this chart as an early indicator.

Thanks.

David O said...

Payline,

Thanks for the excerpt and interpretations - seems to me that his opinions about existing Elliot waves are the “Gospel”. Though I don’t actively follow him, I have considered a subscription. I’ll check out the trial as I do believe in EWTs. I love how wave theory binds sentiment to technical analysis.

Anonymous said...

David:

Can you do me a favor and look at the DJIA daily starting in march 2009? To me it looks likes a rising wedge pattern with the lower support at mar, jul, oct, and the upper resistance at may, jun, aug, and sept. What do you see? Thanks.

David O said...

Hi Bob,

The wedge pattern can be been seen on the DJI as well as the SPX. I have commented on the relevancy of the wedge pattern on the SPX and I do think the same applies to the DJI. The significance of the wedge is that they typify bear market rallies. The implication is that when the wedge breaks down, there is a chance of a retest of the previous low in the bear cycle.

Personally, I am looking for a correction in the DJI that includes a test of the 200p MA on the daily chart. That test is likely going to be around 8800.

Thanks for your comments amd good luck in your trades.

Anonymous said...

David:

Yup ... Thanks for your feedback.

payline said...

Did not see this one coming TODAY ,

payline said...

Well David, You where right on you wave count, I hope this sucker is wave 5.

1120 has made an exit from Sci Fi to
main stream .

On an upside note , As long as we are not wrong on the biggest of items
( this being a Bear Market ) This is gonna work out just fine .


Best of luck

KPH said...

no comments on today?

David O said...

Sorry Guys,

Had calls through-out the day and a cross-country practice to attend this afternoon.

I did expect this final push up towards 1120. I added to my short position in the form of put options. I also shorted the QQQQ - about 2/5 of my final position is on for the NASDAQ now.

At this point we hold on and carefully observe the week.

Sorry no charts today - but I will say that the NASDAQ is hitting some supply at these levels and with AAPL and TXN earnings in, not much more can move it.

Let's hope this baby starts to unwind soon - my shorts are staged nicely and if we get the pullback I expect, it is going to be a generous X-mas at my house...

Good luck.

David O said...

A quick look at the S&P shows that we are still rolling out of the wedge on the hourly chart and traveling along the top trend line on the daily.

Still suggests we will see a downside move soon. I have been shorting the ES at peaks - scalping points on pullbacks.

Anonymous said...

David:

Yup, hopefully AAPL and TXN can move the COMP to the resistance level both interms of the rising wedge and the start of the meaningfull locked in selling resistance at COMP=2200.

I too started small positions in DXD and FXP. Hope to see the market pop at the open and then go sideways during the day with a fade at the end. If so then I will add some more DXD and FXP to 25% of portfolio :) Any thought on tomorrows intraday movement?

I wish you a very merry christmas!! and to me too!!

payline said...

David , I was expecting a push just was not expecting it today .

I took a long on the SPX to use as a Hedge. I did not hedge my bank shorts.

I also took a long in Oil. for a bunch of reasons

David, We all hope its a Santa suit for Christmas, and not Brain Surgeons Scrubs .

My Best