Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Tough Trading Markets...

Rule #1 is never trade FOMC days. Whipsaws do not describe what happens right before, during, and after the announcement. There is simply no good reason to try and trade this action. The best thing to do is wait it out, let the amateurs get burned and let the market reveal its true intent. Today, of all days I chose not to follow the rule. I took advantage of the volatility to buy back some of the puts I wrote against my shorts for a gain. At this point I have closed all of my options except for a large number of puts on the SPY and DIA. These puts are bought and paid for through the profits made on the other options in the spread. Ideally, the SPX will see 1000 and the DOW 9400 so I can really make some decent change.

OK, I have decided to post the 20 day hourly chart as an understanding of all the recent technical’s is vital for trading going forward. Before discussing it, I would like to indicate that we are slowly forming that right shoulder. If you recall I suggested that it would take 5-7 sessions and would top in the range of 067-077ish. We'll see if that still makes sense from the hourly:




Important features of the chart:

1. There is a new - widened down channel in play that is labeled in dark red. Red because the trend is down. Note how the highs today line up nicely with the falling highs from the top. Whenever you create a channel, it must be parallel and it must involve at least two reaction highs/lows. I started with the top line and then "duplicated" it to ensure parallelism. Moving the duplication down I was able to find a good fit with the most recent reaction lows. Hence, we have a new widened channel.

2. I have also left the falling wedge (in green) on the chart. This wedge was the early indicator that price would move to the upside. You can always double check my posts for that discussion. The key is that the reaction highs started to sink and the reaction lows started to rise. This is generally a bullish indicator and alerted me to expect the sudden break.

3. The original down channel also remains in tan/yellow. Never give up on a channel - price often comes back to visit. I did label a very important event at A. That was the break of the original top trend line on the channel. This was expected once we broke from the wedge. Look how we popped through the line with this mornings rally.

4. As soon as we popped through the line, I immediately drew the bottom trend line following the lows of the rally that started from the last reaction low (1029). Unfortunately, I have "blackened" the wicks on these candles, but check your charting program and you will see that the bottom trend line touches nicely. Applying the "duplication" rule I discussed earlier, I started a duplicate trend line from the prior reaction high (047ish) at the wedge top. Note how well this trend line predicted the very top of today’s rally. We now have a new Up-Channel in green!

5. I labeled B because it demonstrates a first rise/first failure event. As soon as the second attempt failed to take out the rally high - it was a signal to go short. If you had the nerve on FOMC day - you could have made a good chunk of change. I did partake in this move - though I only nibbled at the top for a few points.

The most astonishing thing about today is that we did not reach the base of my right shoulder range. I have highlighted that with a trasnparent box. I really did expect a run at 067 resistance. Not.

What does this tell us? I am not sure. I can say that we are now in an Up-Channel - contained within a Down Channel. I suspect we triangle our way out of this with either a break to the upside (across the wide channel top line) or a break to the downside (across the down channel bottom line). Do note that we are sitting at the 50% retracement level for the last reaction and if you follow my blog, you know that this is a decision point. Trading rule of thumb expects a bounce from the 50% level and an up leg equal to the prior reaction. So that would be about 33 points from here – or around 1080. Adding support to the possibility is the fact that we are sitting on the 20p MA. If this happens, we could get a high right shoulder – perhaps too high for my taste.

Alternatively, price action could continue down from here – retesting the original down channel top line near the 62% retracement level. That would invite further breakdown to the start of this last reaction (or a full retrace) at 1029ish. If this happens, I would say we see that test of 1017.

If I were a betting man, and I am, I think we see a firmer shoulder than what we have so far.

Good luck out there!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

awesome.. so the up channel came to pass after all! i got burned today on the fomc whipsaw - i was up earlier in the morning but after the fomc fiasco ended up breaking even for the day.. i'm biased to the up channel for tomorrow but as always wait for the open to see how things will unfold..

payline said...

David , Fed day and Job Friday are good time for not to play .
The volume on the selling in the xlf was something to see wow.

It would have need nice to break break back into the channel at days end , but we didn't.

I would also been nice if the $ had not broke out of its, it did
( lots of call action on the $ and uup thow )

I had made 2 new trend lines Sunday in the Spx channel as targets , The new one that you pointed out and a 2nd crossing the 21st and 23 rd highs which runs in the 70ish range. I figured we would hit both.
I did not see the new up channel , thanks for pointing it out.

The hour chart is the only think I can make heads or tails of, as anything less has noise and action is as if there are multi days compressed in one.

I got to try the EWT thing :) On the hour is looks like we finished the ABC ,A Mondays rise
B at 1030 Monday and C starting Monday and ending today at 60
The a 1,2,3 to end the day in 3

So we can clearly conclude the market is going up , down , or sideways, perhaps all of the above again.

Thanks for all your help and your great TA.
My Best

Anonymous said...

David:

Every day I look forward to reading your posts, both for the technical analysis and also for the thought process. Thank you.

CSCO should be interesting tomorrow. Appears to have a SHS pattern, and forming the R-S now (as expected). Was hoping that tomorrow's closing price would be ~23.6, at the 25d SMA (the aftermarket is 23.95!).

One thing though about the SPX R-S, you are indicating a 5 to 7 day pattern. Is this typical or quicker than typical?

Thanks again.

Anonymous said...

Payline:

Keep those fingers crossed :)

David O said...

Hey Devon,

It is easy to get burned on FOMC days - good to break even!

Payline,

Interesting to note that the dollar index DID NOT rally with the S&P sell-off. I meant to point that out - thanks for the reminder. I think 070s are in range - though we have a very ugly shooting star on the daily with the self off this afternoon. Also, the 1 minute chart featured a number of EWT's today - both up and down.

Hi Bob,

The S&P has been following a rally-relief cycle in around 20 days. Check it on the Daily charts. UIn most of the scenarios that I can see, shoulders are forming in the 5-7 day range. This is only an observation of the rally in the last 7 months - not a hard and fast rule.

Good luck out there!

Anonymous said...

hi david.. will be keeping track here during the day if you post something.. so it seems like ~1060 is the number for today? if we close above that, then we're out of the down channel and a decisive break above that then we are firmly in the up channel.. else we're still in the down channel..

David O said...

Hi Devon,

We are in the intermediate reaction wave of the down channel. That wave has been following the path of the green up channel that I highlighted yesterday. The last price thrust in that up-channel was down to it's bottom trend line near the close. I will be watching for a break of the up channel bottom line at 1046 and a break of the down channel top line at 1059. Let the price action develop a bit before a commitment. Remember, breaks in either line can be retested. I would not be surprised to see the market demonstrate indecision today - rising and falling between these trend lines - triangulating. As a rule - do not trade within a triangle. You get caught in a squeeze and as time passes, your profit potential becomes limited.

Wait for firm breaks of either line with volume.

Cheers.

David O said...

One last note,

If we break out above the current down channel top line there is one top trend line left. That line is formed from the very top (1100) through the first reaction high (1095) and can be extended to a target high near 1070 for today's session. If we get there and show pause (which I would expect based on the consolidation bands between 066 and 073) that becomes the new top line in the down trend. A break of this line would imply a like reversal of the down trend.

Herminator said...

Thanks David for all your great analyses!

I'm planning to position myself for the HS theory to play out (shorting at the 074 area). But I can't decide where to put my stop. When can we consider the theory false?

kpack said...

No doubt it would have been smart to go long yesterday at the close. I am with payline in noting how much xlf sold off. If we get a huge squeeze on the financials... (they could rally and we could short the hell out of them. I wish I had kept some of my financial shorts from 2 weeks ago. I made my last long play yesterday and I am now flat.)

KPH

Anonymous said...

hi david.. hope you made out ok.. nice green up channel... i mostly trade fas/faz and have noticed they have been out of sync with the s&p lately.. rifin started falling before the s&p during this correction and although s&p made the turn rifin hasn't - it's still in the downchannel.. i'm wondering if we can truly have a rally without the financials.. would be great to hear your thoughts.. i sometimes trade bgu and tna and they made the turn as did the s&p..

David O said...

Hi Devon,

Financials weigh heavy on the S&P and I think the financials are headed for trouble. I personally think the rally is over. This right shoulder will form and major distribution will continue. Check out the new post for details. (I did very well today.)