Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Controlled Turbulence

Inevitably when you fly you encounter turbulence . The plane lifts, drops, shifts, and shakes in a random manner. All the while, the pilot (we hope) has total control of the plane. That is what it felt like today. I thought yesterday was difficult because I was away from the desk most of last week - but I now realize my trip had nothing to do with it. The markets are shaking - just look at the action on the 1 minute today.



Could we get anymore price direction changes, MA crossings, and gaps than this? I'm not sure.

Anyway, as I looked at the charts I struggled to find convincing patterns. When I did find patterns, I struggled to believe them. Even following my long setup plans from last night felt wrong - despite having come true (note, not at the same price levels, however at the same points of technical convergence).

At best, I was able to find a consolidating triangle and one bull flag. Open this five minute chart to see:



The triangle turned out to be a continuation of the rise from the day's low. Note how the lower trend line of the triangle was broken, then found support on a higher scale trend, reversed to test the triangle bottom again, rejected, reversed again and shot right across the apex. This is an end around and has killed many a trader who acts to early. I stuck with my belief that we were going to break the upper trend line of the wedge I showed yesterday and was able to grab some of the up action once we broke the apex. (If you follow the HMS blog, I posted a comment that recognized we were hugging the upper trend line and that it was a bullish indicator.)

The quick vertical rise off the triangle formed the flag pole of our next pattern. As should be expected, the price action slowed at the 200p MA. This slowing of price action (between the broken top wedge line and yet to be reached top line of the down channel) formed the flag itself. In retrospect, I should have taken a long position during the flag formation - I simply did not trust what I was seeing. Naturally, the breakout did occur and a run for the top trend line of the channel did occur. I used a fib grid as it broke out to see where it might cap. When I saw that the wave would exhaust at about the top line of the down channel (on the 1 minute chart) I decided to take a short position and benefit from the pullback - which I did.

One final note, we are hitting some resistance at 1046 - stronger than I expected. If you look at the 5 minute charts for the past 5 days, you'll see an an Adam and Eve pattern that was formed from Monday's sharp high at 1052ish followed by Eve's rounded failure in around 1048. The center low between these two tops sits around the two highs of the day (046ish). This is our resistance.

On the whole, I am actually pleased that we broke from the wedge but remain contained by the down channel. Perhaps we'll see our downtrend continue? Perhaps we'll see a break of the upper trend line tomorrow and the start of the shoulder?

I really can't hazard a guess right now - the trading is simply too turbulent. For now, keep a watch on the upper trend line of the down channel.

Cheers.

7 comments:

payline said...

Hi David , Wow , bumpy it has been . and not a good place for most of us to play .
On the hourly or daily chart with all the noise gone, it looks more like expectations .
It has been a bit of a surprise how hard it has been to move up at all.
Being at the top of the trend line, I expect to retrace back a touch before a pop that should take us above 66,
Looking forward to that big SHS top
but more forward to a broken neckline.
My best . Thanks for all you help

Anonymous said...

hi david.. i idid day today using your setup.. the wedge played out like you expected.. i got in on the first try at around noon and got stopped out for no gain and i got in again at around 2 for a gain.. i noticed that there was a channel forming that seemed to start at the reversal yesterday afternoon and seemed to follow it to close.. wondering what you think about that... was it yesterday afternoon that we had a trend change? on the 5min chart look from yesterday 14:00 onwards.. what do you think? thanks again.. on another note what's the best way to keep track of the dollar? i have 'udn' etf that i keep track of.. thanks again - amazing to see the consolidation today around your line that i redrew on my strategy desk..

Anonymous said...

*i did ok today*

KPH said...

I would not doubt it if we had another squeeze coming, but I don't think I am going to bet on it. Likely the fed encourages one more big squeeze, at which time we should be looking at select financials to short. I am going to pay attention today and try to get a position pre-squeeze, unless it is a trend day, but I am still playing scared.

Anonymous said...

hey david.. how're you positioned going into the fed announcement? i played faz earlier this morning and got out and am back in but i'm going to get out before 2pm..

TEXAS said...

DavidO-

Huge resistance at 1060. I've taken a short position there and am holding. I don't think will go much higher. Your thoughts?

J

David O said...

Hey Devon,

Sorry I was not monitoring the posts today. I was glued to the desk anlayzing the days events. I posted my thoughts on a new entry.

Cheers.