Tuesday, August 25, 2009

The Long Play...

Last night I spent more time analyzing the short play - assuming that we will eventually close the continuation gap at 1018. I maintain that this gap will be filled - it is the nature of continuation gaps. The issue is, it doesn't always happen right away.

I did not do a thorough analysis of the long play. Based on the futures market firming this morning, we have to look at resistance levels and determine good points of entry on the long side (or short depending on the action).

To do this, we start with the intraday chart from yesterdays session.



Here is the detail:



On the large chart we see the fib fan - slightly adjusted to reflect the close. As you can see, we closed just above the middle fan blade - in a coil. Coils carry tension, they represent indecision and when the unravel, they tend to explode. To measure how much of an explosion, you have to trace back to the trend preceding the coil and measure the vertical distance. This happens to be the 1031 level. This blows through the last fan blade at 1027.

So how strong is the 1031 resistance? I see four points where 1031 served as support before it broke down. Technically, the more times the level served as support, the greater the resistance. However, volume needs to be considered as well - and yesterday was not a big volume day. So, we have to assume that this resistance may not be enough to hold back a strong rally.

Breaking 1031 reveals 1033. This represents a very important test. If we are turned away at 1033, then breach 1031 we are back on that slippery slope. If we break resistance at 1033, a test of 1036 is inevitable.

So, a setup could be long from 1031 to 1036. I would wait to enter this setup until after the open settles. A gap up in the morning may quickly fill which would be consistent with the exhaustion wave.

A more conservative setup is to go long at a breakout above 1036. This signals a continued rally and forces us to view the market from a higher time frame.

Anyway, that is the long play.

I still favor the action of my prior post - but we have to remain objective and work with the market - not against it!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey david O,
i some how have this feeling that the consumer sentiment will be some what improving and that is going to push this market above 1036?

that could happen right.. just like thursday when we shot past after the big ben's speech?

-TP

David O said...

Tp,

If you ask me, there is alot baked into the premarket action...

If we have less than impressive news, we could see negative feedback.

It does seem we are opening with a gap and that gap will absolutely play today or in near term sessions.

I plan to watch the first 3 bars print (first on the minute, then the 3, then the 5) to decide how/if to play the open.

Good luck TP!

Paulus said...

Closed all index shorts all in early morning & some oil shorts later today. Seems timing was good. Some oil a bit early though.
Happy with limited profits.
I am at a loss at this market, so any profit is accepted humbly.

David O said...

A day with profit is a good one.

The setup from 1031 to 1036 (in this case 1038) played well and I got to profit on two short plays. Only one trade was poorly executed but a tight stop took me out of trouble quickly.

I'll do a post session analysis and blog later.

filmon said...

hey david..

does today's close look like a double top with the close barely above the 20 average on the hourly chart? bearish short term?

David O said...

Hey Filmon,

Just posted my analysis of the day. I have not yet determined my setup for tomorrow. I do think today's action was bearish. I also think the hourly chart shows we could see more downside to fill the last gap between 1027 and 1025. I see we are resting on the 20 period moving average. A break below is also bearish sending the price action down to the 50 period.

Take all positions with caution, know your levels of support and resitance, and choose a time frame to trade in that you can live with. Too many folks trying to scalp a buch in the intraday action - myself included at times!

Read my latest post - and thanks for stopping by!

Anonymous said...

hey David O,
sorry forgot to thank you earlier. your setup and analysis for last two days has been great for me at least :) thank you.

-TP

David O said...

Thanks TP,

I'm glad you bagged some profits.

I did well today. Much better trade execution by stepping up to the hourly chart.

Choppy out there and easy to get gunned.

Good luck tomorrow!