Sunday, August 30, 2009

Expecting Consolidation...

This weekend I spent some time doing regressional analysis on the S&P. I focused on the price action during the last 100 sessions. What I find is that the first 2/3 of the price action congested between 820 and 960. The 30 or so sessions saw a fairly sharp linear rise from 880 to 1039 - with very little new congestion above 960. I also see a major NEGATIVE divergence in the Advance Decline line across the final rally leg. These conditions favor pullback/consolidation.

Looking at my 20 day 60 minute chart - I see a trading range between 1018 and 1039. We are smack in the middle of that range now, with volatility increasing. Perhaps we are in a topping process; perhaps we are resting allowing momentum to build again for another break-out rally.

Finally, I noted on my 15 minute chart that we are caught in what I call a "price gravity band" (the subject of a paper that I am authoring for later publication). Interestingly enough, my analysis suggests that there is more money to be made below the current gravity band than there is above it - however, we are slighlt above the center of the band now with fewer resistance levels than support levels - which could support a breakout. Regardless, price awaits a catalyst inorder to escape this band (in either direction).

My long play setup is based on a break of above 1033 to test 1039. I would get in quickly on the break - watch for a pause at 1035 and then a forceful move from there to a test of 1039. There are 6 points in that move alone. If we break 1039 I would put a trailing stop on through the surge. You will get stopped - however, it is not uncommon for the price action to come down to the breakout level and do a bounce. Either way, a break above 1039 signals another rally leg and could get us to that 1061 level I spoke about last week.

The short play setup is based on a breakdown below 1023 to test support at 1018. This represents only a 5 point move, but tehnicals are weak right now and a test at 1018 has a high chance of failure. Failure to support at that level could lead to a more dramatic downside move. It is pretty soft all the way down to 1007 and true support doesn't kick in until the 1002 level.

I have decided not to publish my charts as part of this entry. I am experimenting with new applications of classic techniques and I am not sure what the results may bring. I would like to see these levels play and continue testing the approach in future sessions. If it looks good, I start to elaborate more and publish the associated charts.

Good luck trading this week!

3 comments:

Paulus said...

Dave,
Any thoughts on volume?
And breakout tension going into high(er) volume september?
Tnx

Attitude928 said...

Neat approach. I'm very interested to see how it plays out. Keep 'em coming...

filmon said...

thanks david.. will see how it plays out today for the long and short setups..