Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Taking a Break...

I know folks have been wondering where my posts have been lately. Well, I am here and somewhat inactive. It is that time of year and I, like many others, am taking a breather from the rigors of trade. Judging from the hourly, we remain range bound as it seems and I have little confidence that the market is going to make a major move either way between now and the New Year.



All my analysis now focuses on my accounts and how to best realize gains and losses for tax purposes. I am also in the process of an "end year review" to see exactly how well (or poorly) I traded.

A much more important activity is celebrating my son's acceptance to SUNY Geneseo for the fall of 2010. Geneseo, a well kept secret, is ranked as one of the nation's top public colleges - and one of the most selective. He plans to study physics and mathematics in pursuit of a career in research and teaching. He is a bright and warm person who deserves nothing but the best. May he never be tempted to apply his analytics to the markets!

For the rest of us, let's keep an eye on that 1113 level. A break above would invite the run to 1120. Let's hope the break down below the 20p MA on the hourly leads to a more aggressive run through the 50p MA and all the way down to the final break of support at 085ish.

Good luck folks!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

good to have you back... was doing ok on my long on fas until today - i got creamed.. it's easy to say 'let you profits run' but gut wrenching to see it all go away in an attempt to be disciplined and stick to your stop.. banks are looking sick - they're where they were now when s&p was at 1090ish.. all the best.. trying to do my homework now on a reentry..

Bob said...

David, Happy Holidays. I do have a real time saver for you, and happy to pass it along - if you have no profits you don't need to spend that time with the portfolio :)

I've been using this approach for years, real time saver, and I am happy to share my secret with you.

Take care,
Bob

David O said...

Hey Devon,

It is painful to see profits evaporate - it always seems to happen so quickly...

Hey Bob,

Love the humor! I am debating the benefits of covering some of my short positions at a loss against gains from the first half of the year. The price behavior at either end of the current range will help me decide.


Happy Holidays everyone!

payline said...

David many congrats to you and your son .
May the break will do you good , the market will be there when you are re-charged and ready.

Best wishes and good fortune

Attitude928 said...

David - Good luck with your son. I was a Math major as well with a fondness for physics. Waiting on college applications for one of my kids as well. Have happy holidays.
Attitude

kaleb5 said...

Hi David,
Congratulations on your son getting into SUNY Geneseo. I'm sure you're very proud of his accomplishments which lead to receiving the acceptance letter in the mail. Makes for a great holiday season. (I have one that finished last year and two currently in college and am looking forward to the coming home later this week).

David O said...

Thanks everyone for the good wishes - the same to each of you. Enjoy the holidays!