Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Not the best second step...

So, we did not get the follow through that I was hoping for - however today's price action was very helpful in terms of the developing picture. Let me also say that I have been trading very poorly this week and have essentially "struck out" with the bases loaded these last two sessions. The sad part about it is that I had profits in both sessions, but failed to maintain discipline and gave it all back - plus the trading fees. I know that is not what you come here to read, but I had to get it off my chest. Here is the hourly candlestick chart:




So, why was today so important and clarifying. First, for those of you who doubted that we are range bound at the top - stop doubting it. On my charts, the 085ish area is the bottom of a rectangle tat we have been trading within for the last 20 sessions. We touched 086 today - which was good thing. The bad thing is that we bounced up off that level and did not follow through at the retest. So 086 became the LOD.


The 086 LOD. combined with the closing stick helped us to define a down channel on the hourly. This down channel, which is bounded by the thin pink lines (and labeled), is formed from the reaction highs and lows since December 04. We closed with a throw back from that top trend line near the 097 area. (Note I spoke of the 096 area a few posts ago - I believe it will be a pivotal point in this battle).

You may also note that the fib fan blades (resulting from a drag from 12/04 high to today's LOD) show the 50% retrace blade in almost the exact position as this top trend line. This is important as both lines serve as resistance. Ideally, we will see rejection at this point and price action will resume it's channel descent. Unfortunately, I am not so confident. You see, these trend lines and fib blades also represent points notorious for GAP UP. In fact, if you look at the ascent off the last two reaction lows of this top, you will see big GAP moves up. Those gaps happen to align pretty nicely with fib fan blades (not show here for clarity).

Though a gap up is possible tomorrow morning, I would like to highlight the obstacles in the battle zone. In order to move up from here, price action must break the 20p MA, the down channel top trend line, the 50% fib fan blade, and the 38% retracement level of the main fib grid. It is going to be tough - but possible.

Also, a quick glance at the ES hourly chart suggests that we may be finishing a S-H-H-S pattern. We are of course at the right shoulder now - meeting resistance at the 096-098 area. If resistance holds, expect a drop off to the Thanksgiving low of 069ish.




Back to the SPX. A less than encouraging down thrust is on the mirror side of our current price point. This kind of recent price action suggests that the ascent could be rapid to the 50% retracement level near 1102ish - and the 50p MA. If we get there quickly, I would start planning on a test of 1110 - following price action down around the 62% fib arc (look at the mirror side to get an idea of what I am suggesting).

One final note, though fib tools don't always work, they often do. A fib time series suggests that next next reversal will sometime in the morning session. Pure crystal ball stuff! Perhaps we gap up to the 1110 area - roll over and fall back down into the down channel.

I am flat tonight on the futures - still short equities.

Good luck tomorrow.

6 comments:

payline said...

Hi David ,
Here we are critical crux again .
Lots of things in my magic viewfinder.

I have the low of the day as wave 5 of Wave 3 , and the abc after as wave4, ( unfinished in reg hours )
And I could be right , the abc looks like a 3,3,5 corrective wave , and it took us to the top ( almost ) of the down channel.
If it is a 5 wave down , we touch the top of the channel line and move to the other side , If W5 =W5
1075ish.

If we break out channel,, well thats bad, then it was a 3 wave down and a Cup would be in play
and sence A was 84 points , if C=A,
well that would just suck.

I count 5 waves up on the $ from recent low to high, so a 50% retrace of the rally would be expected 75.40ish

I want to ask you about , expanding triangle, As I see it , only the DJI would possibly qualify , last low of spx is now low enough at this point , ( but it would be if we have a wave5 down coming.

http://yelnick.typepad.com/

Sorry to here your week is not going well , "Step Back", is what you would say to me .
Its the worst when you are right and fail to profit , feels much worse than just plain out being wrong. It will come together .

I did not buy any long , but I did buy long bond short for insurance and sold of my oil short ( time for some retrace at the least.))

So its all about that little channel line.

My Best , Be careful out there

Paulus said...

Dave,
I respect your openness, being hit by falling rocks on the right track is painfull. We all been there and will be there more times
Have been more lucky, closing in some profits and adding shorts on the way up again.
Opened long oil position for shorts.
Will see if it works. Next few sessions will be revealing

Thanks again

payline said...

Hi David , hope you are holding up ok and all is well .

Its Ugly out there , there are no bears they are all converted , perhaps that is bearish.

My Best

David O said...

Hey Payline,

I took a small holiday from the analysis. I found myself making bad trading decisions and had to step away fo a bit.

Looks like we'll see another test of the top line today. The first test is of course 1110-1113. If we are going to get a breakout from there, it will be the test of that 1120 area.

This is just another opportunity to short. I intend to maintain much better discipline this week - Taking profits when they present yet sticking to the levels to maximize return.

Good luck, and thanks for stopping in to the blog. Look for posts to continue today.

Paulus said...

Dave,
You had me worried too, not blogging for a few days. Thanks payline too for checking in to the patient :-)
Good to hear all important things are ok. But I agree trading is hard and exhausting now.
Please keep on posting (but when you are good and ready!)

payline said...

David and Paulus , may good fortune find us all soon ,