Monday, September 28, 2009

Looking at the Daily

I did not have a chance to publish analysis on the Daily chart this weekend. But I did have a look and do some basic analysis. For what it is worth, I did expect a bounce today - though I did not think we would close above 1060. Open the following daily chart and let's speculate as to what happened:



First, the moving averages. Clearly, we have been rallying for some time with all of the MA's moving upward with the 20p on top, followed by the 50p, then the 200p. Wow, what a bull configuration! The only problem we see is that the price action is trading at a level almost 20% higher than the 200p MA. This is a bit unusual and many feel unsustainable. Before moving on, note that on Friday the price action came down and touched the 20p MA. Ideally, price action would have broke down across that average when the bears had the momentum - but it did not. We'll pick that up later.

Next, lets take a look at the yellow trend line that runs along the lows formed during this rally. We see some very nice contact and reaction off of this line. Again, in an ideal bear scenario - this line would have been broke on Friday - but it did not.

Next, note the grey fib grid on the left (I placed it there for clarity sake). It is stretched from the low of the last rally leg to the intraday high set on last Wednesday. We hit the 38% retracement level on Friday - and kept going. This is a good bear scenario - but the 50% line needed to be tested and fail - and that did not happen.

These three forces - 20pMA, rising trend line, and 38% retracement level forcasted a bounce today. In fact, I played the bounce with an expectation that the downtrend will resume this week. I sold my insurance options at a premium and shorted the ES at the high of the day. My only disappointment is that we did not retrace deep enough from the high. Open this final blow-up of the hourly chart to see why.



I was hoping for a close below 1060 as this would be below the 50% retracement of the last three sessions. A 50% retracement is not uncommon and many analysts wait for this level before resuming the trade with the prior trend.

So what happened? Perhaps the thin holiday trading exagerated price action at the close. The market clearly had a strong morning rally, but then it formed a rising wedge which broke right around 1064. From there, prices just rolled until the final 30 minutes of trade. During the closing minutes most of the price action can be discounted as it is a result of traders going flat.

Unfortunately, we can not conclude much for the bears or the bulls today. The balance of the week will tell us more - starting with tomorrow.

I am particularly focused on a break below 1060 and 1056 - this could lead to a full retracement at 1041 and a continuation of the down trend.

Alternatively, a break-out aboive 1065 would be very bullish and could result in a test of the 1073 seller and of course the intraday high of last Wednesday.

Good luck out there.

10 comments:

KPH said...

I think we rise until Wednesday, maybe to 1073. I have a small position that I will try to triple if we do rise. Note that I think that technicians are going to get absolutely killed at some point when the bottom next falls out.

payline said...

DAVID , thanks for the post

?During the closing minutes most of the price action can be discounted as it is a result of traders going flat.

What does traders go flat mean ?

I took it , the last 30 min was setup for tomorrow, with a sharp move in the XLF , ( not without at fight) Spy has been following XLF with it gos higher.

I was also expected an up day today, the Bulls didn't fight as
much Friday as I expected , so they where " saving it up "
I didn't expect the 50% retrace,
The ease of the 90 min move surprised me. The Xlf unlike spy made most of its move after the first 90 min.
I have no idea what that is telling me.

Best Luck ,

David O said...

Hey Payline,

Lots of traders don't hold positions over night - especially during weeks of economic news. Too much risk. As a result - they "go flat" which is to say they sell or buy at the end of the day.

Today we saw a bit of a rise at the end in SPX (not much) - indicating that there is a short bend to the market and the some folks were covering.

Financial markets seem excited about the "pre-paid insurance" solution being kicked around by the Feds. I have not digged into the details, but there is an ongoing concern about the FDIC not having sufficient funds to cover the pending bank failures. Several alternatives have been rumored - including emergency fees for banks. The banks don't want more fees - rather they would prefer to pre-pay insurance. It seems they may get what they seek. Perhaps this caused the bounce in banking, along with the M&A news?

Not sure...

David O said...

Hey KPH,

Don't discount "turn-around Tuesday" - also, we'll have a full house tomorrow after the holiday. The sellers from last week are out there - licking their chops!

1065 and 1071-73 are vital levels of resistance that if broken, could enable a huge break out.

Failure to get out ahead of 1065 will bring 1056 back into focus. Failure there will lead us back to 1041 and on with the correction.

Good luck!

KPH said...

So, when the Jews can't trade for the day the crazy gentiles go bonkers and screw everything up? It doesn't feel like we have much upside from here. Given how high Europe is, I don't see how we could go up significantly unless Europe totally breaks out. Financials continue to have insane action.

I just have to think that the SPX has topped out and anyone who buys around 70 has to be insane.

KPH said...

(BTW, i COVERED A BIT at 61 towards end of day, then shorted a bit again after hours. I just hope this is not another replay of 9/1)

KPH said...

I shorted early and covered a few times during the day. I probably should have a somewhat smaller position given that I think we have a bit of upside before we fall again, but I cannot predict the future. I really should have kept my long position from friday, though...

KPH said...

I shorted early and covered a few times during the day. I probably should have a somewhat smaller position given that I think we have a bit of upside before we fall again... but I cannot predict the future.

payline said...

Hi David , its still all about
57-56 on the down and 65-67 on the upside ?
The 20ma seems to be bit of speed bump to.

I saw teddy thinks we go to 1100, and he might be right.
Im not that bullish ,
Fridays jobs numbers will set the week end, and maybe the start of next , but 3rd 1/4 numbers will soon be the daily story .

Lets see what happens next

Best luck all around

David O said...

Hey Payline,

My top side analysis reads 1120 - at least based on the weekly charts.

I am not sure why Teddy is so bullish. I do not share his optimism for the many technical reasons I cited in prior posts.

I am hoping to spend a few minutes on the daily tonight.